CORTLANDT MANOR, N.Y. -- Hudson Valley Hospital Center is calling for artists to enter its Jazz Up Your Foundation bra-decorating contest to promote breast cancer awareness.
Entries will be accepted through Wednesday, Oct. 8.
“October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and to draw attention to breast cancer prevention, the Cheryl R. Lindenbaum Cancer Center will be sponsoring our third annual Jazz Up Your Foundation bra-decorating contest,’’ said Anne Campbell-Maxwell, director of oncology services.
“We are asking people to decorate a bra as a way to tell their breast cancer story, whether it’s their own story or the story of a friend or loved one. The bras will be judged the night of our big event. It’s a fun night that we hope will educate the public on prevention and early detection of breast cancer.’’
Jazz Up Your Foundation will be held Thursday, Oct. 16, from 5-8 p.m. in The Cheryl R. Lindenbaum Cancer Center main lobby and will feature the contest, a health fair, prizes, giveaways and refreshments. This year’s event is being co-sponsored by Support Connection.
Guidelines for the bra-decorating contest as follows:
• The outside of the bras must be decorated completely, including straps and sides of the bras.
• Bra size 36C.
• A well-constructed or lined bra should be used to make the decorating process easier.
• Acceptable methods of application: sewing, fasteners, or glue.
All original artwork (decorated bras) must be in good taste. The submission deadline is 5 p.m. Oct. 8 Submissions received after that will be displayed but not judged.
Bras can be dropped off at the following locations:
- The Cheryl R. Lindenbaum Cancer Center, 1978 Crompond Road, Cortlandt Manor, NY 10547.
- The Ashikari Breast Center, 1978 Crompond Road, Cortlandt Manor, NY 10547, Suite 103.
- Support Connection, 40 Triangle Center, Suite 100, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Police Shoot, Kill Fugitive Richard Matt; Fellow Escapee David Sweat On Run
- 3 Yorktown Celebrates Class Of 2015 With Graduation At SUNY Purchase
- 4 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 5 Men Shot, Killed Before Hutchinson River Parkway Crash ID'd