YORKTOWN, N.Y. – A high school basketball tournament and a 5K walk/run for the benefit of the families of the Newtown, Conn. shooting are some of the activities taking place around Yorktown this weekend. For more listings, check out our Events page.
Friday, Jan. 18
Crompond Intermediate School Inaugural Celebration: 6-8 p.m. This was rescheduled from Jan. 11. Reservations prior to Jan. 15 are required to attend. 2901 Manor St.
Saturday, Jan. 19
Sandy Hook Benefit 5K Run/Walk: 10 a.m. The Taconic Road Runners Club, in conjunction with the Newtown Park Gift Fund, is having a Sandy Hook Benefit 5K run/walk in FDR Park. The run/walk starts at 10 a.m. at Parking lot 1. All of the $25 entry fee goes to the Newtown Park organization. 2957 Crompond Road.
Planning Your Spring Garden: 10 a.m. Hilltop Hanover Farm is planning a spring vegetable garden. Admission to the workshop is $20 and registration is required. Call 914-962-2368 or register online at www.HilltopHanoverFarm.org. 1271 Hanover St.
Paper Arts & Mixed Media – Personal Shrines: Noon. Lavinia Wiggins will lead a class on several collage techniques to decorate a "personal shrine" box and fill it with relevant items. The program is free but registration is required. For information, contact the reference desk or call 914-245-5262, x-227. John C. Hart Memorial Library, 1130 E. Main St.
George Budries Basketball Tournament: All games are at Yorktown High School, 2727 Crompond Road.
- 1 p.m., boys, Dobbs Ferry High School vs. Horace Greeley High School
- 3 p.m., girls, Pelham Memorial High School vs. Nanuet Senior High School
- 5 p.m., girls, Yorktown High School vs. Lakeland High School
- 7 p.m., boys, Yorktown High School vs. Croton-Harmon High School
YCP TheaterWorks Presents: Come Blow Your Horn: 8 p.m. Tickets at the door are $18 for adults and $15 for seniors and students.Tickets can be purchased online through PayPal at a discount of $17 and $14, respectively. There also will be a 2 p.m. Sunday performance. Van Cortlandtville Elementary School Theater, 3100 E. Main St.
Yoga – A Path to Wellness: Noon to 1:30 p.m. Support Connection hosts its weekly yoga session for people living with breast, ovarian or gynecological cancers. Club Fit, 600 Bank Road.
- 1 Yorktown Man, 25, Allegedly Violates Order Of Protection, Slashes Tire
- 2 Westchester DA Issues Alert About Sexual Predators Posing As Others
- 3 Fiancée Angelika Graswald Charged With Hudson River Murder Of Kayaker
- 4 McDonald's Shakes Up Menu, Cuts Seven Sandwiches
- 5 Yorktown Man Charged With Assault In Domestic Dispute