YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Yorktown Councilman Nick Bianco knows the area has a hidden "gem" in Mohegan Lake.
With the annual Mohegan Lake Day set for July 14, Bianco is hoping Westchester residents discover that gem. The tradition celebrating the lake's long history and its value to the Yorktown community features games, events and family activities starting at 9 a.m. July 14 on Mohegan Lake.
"It's a wonderful idea and I think it's great that we're showcasing the beautiful lake and that's why I've gone for at least the last five years and it's fantastic," Bianco said Wednesday. "Some people around Westchester don't even know that Mohegan Lake is there. Every time someone new finds out about it, they are surprised at what a gem we have."
The public is invited to the festivities that include boat races, music, guided walking trails, a water quality presentation and an outdoor movie.The event, sponsored by the Mohegan Lake Improvement District, "honors Mohegan Lake's great historical significance seen in archaeological finds of ancient Mohigan Indian arrowheads, its geographical importance during the Revolutionary War, the growing farmer community in the 19th century and the lake's allure for early 20th century resorts and summer inns," according to a town press release.
Parking will vary from beach to beach with most available spaces on the nearby streets including Section I and Amazon Beach.
The following is a schedule of the day's events. July 21 is set to be the event's rain day.
- Volunteer trail work led by Walt Daniels. Rock Hill Park (Holland Sporting Club) – Horton Road. 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Registration / Boat Races. Section 1 Beach (Mohegan West) -3250 Lakefront Ave. 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. 1 p.m. -Rowboats, 1:20 p.m. - Canoes,1:40 p.m. - Kayaks, 2 p.m. - Sailboats.
- Presentation: Yorktown Walking Trails (Including hiking trails near Mohegan Lake) by Jane Daniels. Mohegan Highlands Property Owners Association - curve going up hill on Mohegan Avenue. 2:30 to 3 p.m.
- Presentation: Water Quality Testing in Lake Mohegan by Randall Duggan. Mohegan Beach Park - Lakeshore at Christine. 3:30 to 4 p.m.
- Beach Games, Meet Your Mohegan Neighbors. Amazon Beach - Wenonah Trail 4 to 5 p.m.
- Pot Luck Dinner. Mohegan Colony Beach – Parking lot at end of Oak/High Streets. 5 p.m.
- Music. 6 p.m.
- Secret Life of Plants in Mohegan Lake. 7:30 p.m.
- Video on Beavers by a nature cinematographer. 8:30 p.m.
- Chinese Floating Lanterns on the lake. 8:45 p.m.
- Movie (to be announced) on the handball court. 9 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.