YORKTOWN HEIGHTS, N.Y. -- Yorktown Grange Fair will celebrate its 90th year with agricultural festivities on Thursday, Sept. 4 through Sunday, Sept. 7.
The Yorktown Grange Fair remains true to its origin as a competition and showcase of local farmers’ livestock, poultry and produce. Following are some of the signature special events and demonstrations of this year’s fair:
- Tractor parade from the YCCC building to the Grange fairgrounds (Saturday at noon)
- Draft horse pulling demonstration by Rock Hill Farm (Saturday at 12:30 p.m.)
- Oxen pulling/driving demonstration by Rock Hill Farm (Saturday at 5 p.m.)
- Horseback riding demonstrations by Dusty Stables (Saturday and Sunday)
- Wool spinning demonstrations by the Hanover Spinners/Knit-In group (Saturday and Sunday)
- Horse Costume Class (Sunday at 2:15 p.m.)
- Parade of animals (Sunday at 3:30 p.m.)
- Produce Auction: baskets of award winning produce are auctioned for charity (Sunday at 7 p.m.)
As in years past, the Grange Fair will also play host to an impressive menagerie of farm animals, including: five breeds of goats; three breeds of sheep, four breeds of cows, draft horses, oxen, piglets and more than 100 ducks, geese, turkeys, chickens and roosters. And in keeping with tradition, all of these animals and their owners are competing for the coveted blue ribbons.
Showmanship competition and judging times are scheduled as follows:
- Horses (Saturday at 2:30 p.m.)
- Cows (Sunday at 11 a.m.)
- Goats (Sunday at 1:45 p.m.)
There will also be competitions and exhibits of produce, flowers, baking and crafts and entries are open to the general public.
Entries for the arts and craft categories (art, photography, needlework, and Legos) can be submitted Monday, Sept. 1 and Tuesday, Sept. 2. Baking and jelly/jam entries are due on Wednesday, Sept. 3 and Thursday, Sept. 4, and flowers and produce entries are due the Thursday, Sept. 4 and Friday, Sept. 5. All rules and entry forms are available at www.YorktownGrangeFair.org. For more information, including schedules of events and performances, visit www.YorktownGrangeFair.org.