YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Yorktown veterans and Mildred Strang Middle School students will come together on Sunday, Feb. 2 to celebrate the Four Chaplains, according to a LoHud report.
This annual ceremony honors the four Army chaplains who were on the USS Dorchester, a troop transport, in February 1943 when it sank in the Atlantic. The four - a rabbi, a Roman Catholic priest and two Protestant ministers - went down with the ship after giving up their life jackets to other soldiers when the supply ran out.
The ceremony is set to begin at 2 p.m., at the Yorktown American Legion Post 1009 Hall, 235 Veterans Road in Yorktown.
- 1 9-, 11-Year-Old Mohegan Lake Boys Charged In Burglaries
- 2 Yorktown Man, 66, Charged With Distributing Crystal Meth
- 3 Man Is Charged With Shooting Arrows At Mohegan Lake Adult Home Employee
- 4 Body Found In Hudson River Near West Point
- 5 Lakeland/Panas Product Takes Maryland To NCAA Women's Final Four