YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Yorktown veterans and Mildred Strang Middle School students will come together on Sunday, Feb. 2 to celebrate the Four Chaplains, according to a LoHud report.
This annual ceremony honors the four Army chaplains who were on the USS Dorchester, a troop transport, in February 1943 when it sank in the Atlantic. The four - a rabbi, a Roman Catholic priest and two Protestant ministers - went down with the ship after giving up their life jackets to other soldiers when the supply ran out.
The ceremony is set to begin at 2 p.m., at the Yorktown American Legion Post 1009 Hall, 235 Veterans Road in Yorktown.
- 1 Police Officer From Mohegan Lake Sues Shoe Manufacturer After Injury
- 2 Stoneleigh Avenue Crash Victim Seriously Injured
- 3 Billionaire Yorktown Resident, Philanthropist Jerome Kohlberg Dies
- 4 Man Charged With DWI After Head-On Collision On Bear Mountain Bridge Road
- 5 Police Activity Results In Closure Of Route 6N