YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Yorktown veterans and Mildred Strang Middle School students will come together on Sunday, Feb. 2 to celebrate the Four Chaplains, according to a LoHud report.
This annual ceremony honors the four Army chaplains who were on the USS Dorchester, a troop transport, in February 1943 when it sank in the Atlantic. The four - a rabbi, a Roman Catholic priest and two Protestant ministers - went down with the ship after giving up their life jackets to other soldiers when the supply ran out.
The ceremony is set to begin at 2 p.m., at the Yorktown American Legion Post 1009 Hall, 235 Veterans Road in Yorktown.
- 1 18 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Yorktown; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 2 Yorktown Dodges Worst Of Nor'ester
- 3 Accidents Reported On Taconic State Parkway, Bear Mountain Bridge Road
- 4 Yorktown Central Schools Closed, Lakeland Will Have Early Dismissal
- 5 Storm System Departs Yorktown, Snow Could Return Thursday