YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Yorktown veterans and Mildred Strang Middle School students will come together on Sunday, Feb. 2 to celebrate the Four Chaplains, according to a LoHud report.
This annual ceremony honors the four Army chaplains who were on the USS Dorchester, a troop transport, in February 1943 when it sank in the Atlantic. The four - a rabbi, a Roman Catholic priest and two Protestant ministers - went down with the ship after giving up their life jackets to other soldiers when the supply ran out.
The ceremony is set to begin at 2 p.m., at the Yorktown American Legion Post 1009 Hall, 235 Veterans Road in Yorktown.
- 1 Mohegan Lake Man, Pastoral Council VP, Faces Child Porn Charges
- 2 Nearly One Million Bicycles Are Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 3 Man Charged With Forcible Touching In Yorktown
- 4 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits The Market For $29.5M
- 5 Westchester Schools Reporting High Opt-Out Rates On State Math Tests