YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Yorktown community members are invited to attend a candlelight vigil Thursday night at Jack DeVito Field in memory of the 26 shooting victims from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The event is scheduled for 7 p.m. and was organized on Facebook by My Brother Vinny, a charity group in Yorktown. Paula Miritello, the group's founder, wants the community to briefly set politics aside and focus on the 20 children and six adults who were killed.
"This is not about gun control or anything like that," she said. "I just thought it would be nice to have a moment of silence and a candlelight vigil."
Miritello asks anybody attending the ceremony to bring a candle. Residents are also encouraged to bring sympathy cards, postcards or letters that will be collected and mailed to Sandy Hook.
- 1 Mohegan Lake Pet Store Owner Charged With Animal Cruelty
- 2 Yorktown's Amanda Saccomanno Survives 'WWE Tough Enough' Elimination
- 3 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says
- 4 Mohegan Lake Man Faces DWI Charge After Crash
- 5 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority