YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Yorktown community members are invited to attend a candlelight vigil Thursday night at Jack DeVito Field in memory of the 26 shooting victims from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
The event is scheduled for 7 p.m. and was organized on Facebook by My Brother Vinny, a charity group in Yorktown. Paula Miritello, the group's founder, wants the community to briefly set politics aside and focus on the 20 children and six adults who were killed.
"This is not about gun control or anything like that," she said. "I just thought it would be nice to have a moment of silence and a candlelight vigil."
Miritello asks anybody attending the ceremony to bring a candle. Residents are also encouraged to bring sympathy cards, postcards or letters that will be collected and mailed to Sandy Hook.
- 1 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 2 Man, Two Women Charged In Jefferson Valley Mall Parking Lot Heroin Bust
- 3 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 4 Yorktown Family Looking For Missing Dog Zero
- 5 Yorktown Man Who Crashes Into Pole Charged With DWI, Police Say