YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Yorktown’s Dave Matthews!
David John "Dave" Matthews, who lived in Yorktown as a child, turns 47 on Thursday.
Matthews, a singer-songwriter, musician and actor, best known as the lead vocalist, songwriter, and guitarist for the Dave Matthews Band, was born January 9, 1967 in Johannesburg, Transvaal, South Africa.
Matthews focused primarily on songwriting and performances with the Dave Matthews Band from 1990 to 2003. He released a solo album, "Some Devil", which went platinum; its single, "Gravedigger", won a Grammy Award in 2004.
Before he was known as a musician, Dave Matthews was an amateur actor, appearing onstage in several productions at Charlottesville's Offstage Theatre and Live Arts theater in the early 1990s; the role for which he is best remembered is as a used car salesman in Offstage Theatre's "Just Say No," directed by John Quinn, co-starring Kylie Sicher.
Matthews is also a strong supporter of gay rights and participated in "Love Unites Shepard Fairey Equality Project", a gay marriage advocacy project.
- 1 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 2 Two Women, Man Charged In Jefferson Valley Mall Parking Lot Heroin Bust
- 3 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 4 Yorktown Family Looking For Missing Dog Zero
- 5 Yorktown Man Who Crashes Into Pole Charged With DWI, Police Say