PEEKSKILL, N.Y. -- The Church of the Assumption in Peekskill once again spent much of Good Friday re-enacting the final hours of the life of Jesus Christ as part of its religious celebration of Holy Week.
For the past 11 years, the church congregation has created elaborate sets and costumes to act out the Stations of the Cross, which Catholics and Christians believe document the crucifixion of Jesus, his death and resurrection.
Hundreds of parishioners and other spectators were on hand to watch the dramatic hourlong performance. For the second year, the Rev. Vincent Druding played the role of Jesus, which required him to carry a wooden cross and eventually hang from it.
Video and photos of Friday's re-enactment are featured in the slide show above. To view all of the photos from the event, check out the Peekskill Daily Voice Flickr page.
- 1 Winter Storm Watch Issued For Yorktown On Wednesday
- 2 Yorktown Man Driving 95 MPH Charged With DWI, Police Say
- 3 Three Lakeland High School Athletes Sign College Letters Of Intent
- 4 Yorktown Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 5 Yorktown Man Charged After Car Accident At Gas Station Tops News Last Week