Contact Us
Yorktown Daily Voice serves Yorktown, NY
Return to your home site


Yorktown Daily Voice serves Yorktown, NY

Nearby Towns


Cigarette Causes Accidental Mohegan Lake Fire

MOHEGAN LAKE, N.Y. -- An improperly disposed of cigarette was reportedly the cause for a house fire early Tuesday morning.

According to Mohegan Lake Fire Chief Brian Wolert, an individual inside the house at 3662 Lakeshore Dr. in Mohegan Lake allegedly accidentally disposed of a cigarette in the bathroom. Wolert said the fire had been ruled as an accident.

Wolert said the individual inside the house tried unsuccessfully to put the fire out themselves and then went to a neighbor's house who called 911, who received the call at 10:15 a.m. Wolert said the neighbor also tried to put the fire out unsuccessfully.

When the fire department arrived at the scene of the one-family residence house, Wolert said that the second floor had flames and heavy smoke, and the first floor has been damaged by heat and water.

Other departments including Mohegan Lake Fire Department were at the scene, as well as Mahopac fire rescue, and the Yorktown Heights Engine Company #1.

Wolert said the heat caused the firefighters to only be in the home for 10 minutes each at a time. “They did an excellent job—they worked hard and fast,” he said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Yorktown Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Yorktown Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.