YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- An oil spill has been reported near Junior Lake in Yorktown.
Cleanup crews are at 120 Upland Road in Yorktown on Monday afternoon, including the Department of Environmental Conservation, according to Noreen Parrell, the backyard neighbor.
Parrell became concerned on Thursday when she smelled oil and then on Friday afternoon between 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m., saw an oil tank empty out.
"We don't know what happened," Parrell said. "No one has come to talk to us."
Parrell said she was concerned about the impact on Junior Lake. She said her neighbor's yard has been dug up and there are people with white suits.
"They have told us nothing," Parrell said. "We don't know if it's under control."
Castle Oil services the home affected by the spill. Michael Meadcin said his company did not cause the spill, but it was caused by the tank failing.
"The tank split open or developed a leak," Meadcin said. "Presumably because it was old."
The Department of Environmental Conservation said it is investigation the incident.
- 1 Firefighters Contain Blaze At Kohl's In Cortlandt
- 2 Yorktown Man, 19, Charged After Car Accident At Gas Station, Police Say
- 3 IRS Warns Yorktown Residents Of Phone Scam
- 4 County Police Charge Man With Having 130 Bags Of Heroin
- 5 Yorktown Heights FD Provides Aid In Blaze That Injures Somers Contractor