YORKTOWN HEIGHTS, N.Y. -- Support Connection Inc., a not-for-profit organization offering free support services to people affected by breast and ovarian cancer, still is accepting registrations for its 20th Anniversary Support-A-Walk for Breast and Ovarian Cancer.
It will begin at 9 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 5 (rain or shine) at FDR Park on Route 202 in Yorktown Heights. Advance registration is strongly recommended; close to 10,000 people attended in 2013. The Support-A-Walk was founded 20 years ago by local residents. It is held to bring attention to the needs of people living with breast and ovarian cancer and to raise funds for Support Connection’s free support services for those living with these diseases. Each year, thousands of people take part in this spirited, uplifting event. The schedule for the 20th Anniversary Support-A-Walk on October 5th is:
- 9 a.m.: Pre-walk activities and entertainment, including music, face-painting and complementary team photos.
- 9:15 a.m.: Welcoming remarks and reflections on the meaning of the day.
- 9:30 a.m.: Warm-up and stretching to music, led by staff from Club Fit.
- 10 a.m.: Ribbon-cutting ceremony and the Walk begins.
- After the Walk: Enjoy refreshments and entertainment. Bring a picnic lunch to share with friends and family.
Awareness jewelry, greeting cards and other merchandise will be available throughout the morning, along with information about Support Connection’s free breast and ovarian cancer support groups, programs and services. At the “Survivors Welcome Area” near the main tent, volunteers will greet cancer survivors and present each of them with a token of recognition. To learn more about the Support-A-Walk or Support Connection’s free services, call 914-962-6402 or visit www.supportconnection.org.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.