OSSINING, N.Y. -- Ossining's Teatown Lake Reservation will employ sharpshooters to kill up to 75 deer in an effort to maintain balance in the area's ecosystem, according to LoHud.com.
The steadily growing deer population in the area continues to eat trees, seeds and other plant life at a rate that impacts the entire ecosystem, including loss of bird life, according to LoHud.com.
Sharpshooters will kill the deer at night and the meat will be donated to charities that feed venison to the needy, LoHud.com reported.
- 1 Mohegan Lake Pet Store Owner Charged With Animal Cruelty
- 2 Yorktown's Amanda Saccomanno Survives 'WWE Tough Enough' Elimination
- 3 Actor/Director Charged With Possession Of Child Porn, Westchester DA Says
- 4 Mohegan Lake Man Faces DWI Charge After Crash
- 5 10 License Violators In Westchester Fined By State Liquor Authority