YORKTOWN, N.Y. – The Yorktown Daily Voice is heading into the new year by counting down, in no particular order, the top 10 stories from 2012.
Tragedy struck the Yorktown community on Nov. 9 when Randy Zapakin, 57, died after being struck by a car while walking his dog on Farm Walk Road.
Zapakin was hit around 8:15 p.m. by a blue 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier driven by an 18-year-old Yorktown resident, police said. The investigation into the incident is still ongoing.
Friends, family and colleagues were quick to praise Zapakin as a generous volunteer, successful Realtor and good friend.
Zapakin was a sales associate at Keller Williams Realty Partners and earned a bachelor of arts degree from SUNY New Paltz. He worked closely with Relay for Life and handled emceeing duties for the group’s annual walk at Jack DeVito Field.
Zapakin’s spirit of giving was kept alive in the form of an annual community service award, which was awarded to Yorktown Girl Scout troops in a ceremony at the Dec. 1 Holiday Light Parade Spectacular.
- 1 15-Year-Old Yorktown Boy Charged With Making Threat Against School
- 2 Three Mohegan Lake Youths Charged With Ransacking Islamic Center
- 3 Police Locate Threats Against Yorktown, LI Schools Made On Yik Yak App
- 4 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 5 Somers Businessman Charged With Loan, Tax Fraud