WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- The Westchester County Board of Legislators referred the recommendations of the Westchester County Charter Revision Commission (CRC) to the Budget and Appropriations and the Legislation committees on Monday, Feb. 10, for consideration.
The Charter Revision Commission presented its recommendations to the county board at a meeting on Monday, Jan. 27.
Richard Wishnie, a former Westchester County legislator, chaired the commission, which placed priority on the following:
- Change the county’s fiscal year to July 1 to June 30
- Establish a minimum 75-day period for budget review and adoption
- Establish a minimum period for consideration of budget additions and deletions prior to a final vote
- Add sustainability and resilience as planning process values
- Broaden Board of Legislators access to department budget estimates
- Reform legislative confirmation procedures and designate interim powers for executive appointments
- Re-examine the County Ethics Code
- Convene a Charter Revision Commission every ten years
- Determine initiation and termination of executive disability
“The CRC’s recommendations represent the first official Charter review in Westchester County in 25 years,” said Wishnie.
County Legislator Gordon Burrows of Yonkers stated, “ I have a tremendous amount of respect for Richard Wishnie and his experience."
"I look forward to rolling up my sleeves with him and really delving into these recommendations to see what works and what doesn’t.”
Board Chairman Michael Kaplowitz of Somers commended Wishnie, “ I am grateful and impressed given the extreme level of scrutiny that was required to put out such a thorough and comprehensive report.”
According to Kaplowitz, the Board of Legislators has six months to review the recommendations before deciding whether or not to act on them.
All of the CRC's recommendations can be found in the final report here.
- 1 Yorktown Man, 66, Charged With Distributing Crystal Meth
- 2 Yorktown Woman Faces DWI, Drug Possession Charges
- 3 9-, 11-Year-Old Mohegan Lake Boys Charged In Burglaries
- 4 Somers Woman Charged With Violating Order Of Protection, Resisting Arrest
- 5 Man Is Charged With Shooting Arrows At Mohegan Lake Adult Home Employee