YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- The Yorktown Town Board recently held a work session to deal with items associated with the building of the Yorktown Senior Living complex on East Main Street in Mohegan Lake.
To help deal with concerns about traffic, the applicant, Tim Cassidy, presented a revised plan that calls for fewer housing units and a smaller senior learning center. The plan includes 96 assisted living units and 124 independent living units and completely deletes the condo, reported Citizens for an Informed Yorktown.
The main problem, from the board’s perspective, continues to be the access to Route 6; two access points would only be for right turns. While the left-turn issue could be resolved by allowing right turn exits onto Strawberry Road, Supervisor Michael Grace made it clear that he did not want any additional traffic on Strawberry, added Citizens for an Informed Yorktown.
Although Grace indicated his general support for the plan’s concept, he said he did not see how the access issues could be overcome. A May hearing on the rezoning request is possible.
In other board meeting news:
- Hilltop Hanover Farm Subdivision: Grace explained the problem associated with out-of-district water customers becoming part of the water district.
- Parking issues: To help local businesses, the board agreed to install “Municipal Parking” signs next to Yorktown Glass and in the lot next to the highway garage.
- Creative Living (Navajo Fields): Would like permission to host special events for groups in excess of 200 people at the site. The board will consider drafting a new “special events” ordinance setting standards for such events.
- Commercial garage collection: The board discussed regulating unsightly dumpsters and compactors and also the possibility of franchising a single commercial carter.
- Appointments: William Gregory was appointed a regular member of the Zoning Board of Appeals and former ZBA member Howard Orneck was appointed alternate member to serve at the pleasure of the board.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.