YORKTOWN, N.Y. – The Yorktown Daily Voice has been counting down to the new year by listing, in no particular order, the top 10 stories from 2012. Here is the list:
- A Yorktown group fights to remove the Highway Superintendent as an elected position and have it replaced with a department of public works.
- A proposed Costco Wholesale Club at 3200 Crompond Road sparked passionate responses from both supporters and opponents of the project.
- A major overhaul of the AMVETS Bridge on the Taconic State Parkway finished a month early, much to the delight of commuters.
- Yorktown was under new leadership, as first-time Supervisor Michael Grace took over and made some changes.
- The devastating Hurricane Sandy stormed through Yorktown and left thousands without heat and power.
- The Yorktown Town Board called for the resignation of 16-year comptroller Joan Goldberg, which resulted in a dispute over unpaid vacation time.
- Nearly a dozen new stores and restaurants opened throughout Yorktown in 2012, including Jake's Wayback Burger and Pizza Hut.
- IBM was approved for a helipad on its Yorktown campus, despite concerns from neighbors.
- Yorktown mourned the loss of beloved community member Randy Zapakin, who died tragically on Nov. 9.
- Yorktown awarded its 2013 garbage hauling contract to the inexperienced competition, prompting a lawsuit from Yorktown's previous garbage hauler.
- 1 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 2 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 3 Somers Businessman Charged With Loan, Tax Fraud
- 4 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 5 Police: Drugs, Alcohol May Have Been Involved In Verplanck Woman's Death