YORKTOWN, N.Y. - Joseph Patrick Howard of Yorktown died Jan. 31. He was 81.
Howard was born Oct. 9, 1932, in Washington Heights, to John and Catherine Howard. He was a graduate of Cardinal Hayes High School. He was a U.S. Air Force veteran who served during the Korean War. He worked for more than three decades for IBM and later the Department of Veterans Affairs. In his 60s, he returned to school and received a Master's degree in finance from Manhattan College to go with his earlier diploma from St. John's University. He was a parishioner at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Shrub Oak since moving to Yorktown, N.Y. in 1967. His novel, "The Tribe," published in 2009, illustrated what it was like to grow up Irish Catholic in the post-War Bronx.
Howard is survived by his wife, Ann; sister, Frances (James); children, Eileen (Craig), Cathi (Raul), Anthony (Alison), Mary Beth (Joseph), Claire (Martin), Teresa (Peter) and Brian (Kristen); 19 grandchildren; and many friends.
No service details available.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Medical Mission Sisters, 8400 Pine Road, Philadelphia, PA 19111.
- 1 Fiery Head-On Collision Leads To DWI Charges For Two Yorktown Residents
- 2 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 3 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Yorktown
- 5 Knife-Wielding Mohegan Lake Man Threatens Good Samaritan, Say Police