YORKTOWN, N.Y. - Joseph Patrick Howard of Yorktown died Jan. 31. He was 81.
Howard was born Oct. 9, 1932, in Washington Heights, to John and Catherine Howard. He was a graduate of Cardinal Hayes High School. He was a U.S. Air Force veteran who served during the Korean War. He worked for more than three decades for IBM and later the Department of Veterans Affairs. In his 60s, he returned to school and received a Master's degree in finance from Manhattan College to go with his earlier diploma from St. John's University. He was a parishioner at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Shrub Oak since moving to Yorktown, N.Y. in 1967. His novel, "The Tribe," published in 2009, illustrated what it was like to grow up Irish Catholic in the post-War Bronx.
Howard is survived by his wife, Ann; sister, Frances (James); children, Eileen (Craig), Cathi (Raul), Anthony (Alison), Mary Beth (Joseph), Claire (Martin), Teresa (Peter) and Brian (Kristen); 19 grandchildren; and many friends.
No service details available.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Medical Mission Sisters, 8400 Pine Road, Philadelphia, PA 19111.
- 1 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Yorktown, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 2 18 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Yorktown; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Yorktown
- 5 Accidents Reported On Taconic State Parkway, Bear Mountain Bridge Road