YORKTOWN, N.Y. - Joseph Patrick Howard of Yorktown died Jan. 31. He was 81.
Howard was born Oct. 9, 1932, in Washington Heights, to John and Catherine Howard. He was a graduate of Cardinal Hayes High School. He was a U.S. Air Force veteran who served during the Korean War. He worked for more than three decades for IBM and later the Department of Veterans Affairs. In his 60s, he returned to school and received a Master's degree in finance from Manhattan College to go with his earlier diploma from St. John's University. He was a parishioner at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Shrub Oak since moving to Yorktown, N.Y. in 1967. His novel, "The Tribe," published in 2009, illustrated what it was like to grow up Irish Catholic in the post-War Bronx.
Howard is survived by his wife, Ann; sister, Frances (James); children, Eileen (Craig), Cathi (Raul), Anthony (Alison), Mary Beth (Joseph), Claire (Martin), Teresa (Peter) and Brian (Kristen); 19 grandchildren; and many friends.
No service details available.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Medical Mission Sisters, 8400 Pine Road, Philadelphia, PA 19111.
- 1 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 2 Yorktown Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 3 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 4 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Yorktown
- 5 Numerous Accidents Reported On Slippery Westchester Roadways