YORKTOWN, N.Y. -- Former Yorktown Heights teacher Margaret "Peggy" May passed away on Thursday, July 24 in Hilton Head, S.C. She was 82.
May was born in Syracuse and graduated from SUNY Cortlandt. She taught in Yorktown Heights for 28 years before retiring to South Carolina.
Upon retiring, May became involved in adult literacy in the Palmetto State. She served as the Director of Adult Literacy for Beaufort County in the late 80’s before becoming the South Carolina State Director of Adult Literacy from 1992 until 1996, when she retired.
May was preceded in death by her father, Frank May, and her mother, Louise Birney May. She is survived by her life partner, Jackie Rosswurm of Hilton Head Island; her cousins Mary Lou Yocano (David), of Camillus, N.Y.; Carol Dixon (Barry), of Syracuse, Michael Allen (Debbie) of Syracuse; and Christina Brassey (Gary) of Warners, N.Y.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Foundation for Educational Excellence, P.O. Box 22474, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29925 or the Italian American Club of Hilton Head, P.O. Box 21736, Hilton Head, South Carolina 29925.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Fiery Head-On Collision Leads To DWI Charges For Two Yorktown Residents
- 3 Mohegan Lake Man Breaks Nose Of Former Employee, Police Say
- 4 Yorktown Man Who Crashes Into Pole Charged With DWI, Police Say
- 5 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Yorktown