YORKTOWN, N.Y. – Yorktown police urge residents to take extra precaution with items left in parked cars following seven reported break-ins in Jefferson Valley earlier this week, Lt. Robert Noble said.
All the break-ins occurred Monday between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. in the Club Fit parking lot on Bank Road, Noble said.
The thieves gained entrance by smashing the cars' windows. There is currently no suspect, and the break-ins remain under investigation.
While motorists should not leave items out in plain sight, Noble said they can protect themselves further by securing valuables in the trunk, or not leave them in a car at all. Hiding valuables under car seats may not be enough to deter some criminals, he said.
"You can help us out and you can help yourself out," he said. "Be alert to your surroundings."
Any information or suspicious activity should be reported to police headquarters at 914-962-4141.
- 1 Several Westchester Towns Ranked Among New York's Safest To Live In
- 2 15-Year-Old Yorktown Boy Charged With Making Threat Against School
- 3 Dante's III In Yorktown Heights Is Changing Owners
- 4 State Advises Parents To Be Aware Of Signs Of Serious Respiratory Virus
- 5 National Weather Service: Yorktown's Winter Won't Be So Bad