YORKTOWN, N.Y. – Yorktown police urge residents to take extra precaution with items left in parked cars following seven reported break-ins in Jefferson Valley earlier this week, Lt. Robert Noble said.
All the break-ins occurred Monday between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. in the Club Fit parking lot on Bank Road, Noble said.
The thieves gained entrance by smashing the cars' windows. There is currently no suspect, and the break-ins remain under investigation.
While motorists should not leave items out in plain sight, Noble said they can protect themselves further by securing valuables in the trunk, or not leave them in a car at all. Hiding valuables under car seats may not be enough to deter some criminals, he said.
"You can help us out and you can help yourself out," he said. "Be alert to your surroundings."
Any information or suspicious activity should be reported to police headquarters at 914-962-4141.
- 1 July 4 Terror Warning Issued By Homeland Security, FBI
- 2 Yorktown Celebrates Class Of 2015 With Graduation At SUNY Purchase
- 3 Second Escapee David Sweat Shot By New York State Police, Now In Hospital
- 4 Credit Card Skimmer Discovery At Area Bank Prompts Concern
- 5 Yorktown Man Charged With Shoplifting Thermometers