YORKTOWN, N.Y. – The Shrub Oak Pirates won in a 14-0 victory Thursday, Aug. 14, over the Peekskill Power in the Men’s Senior Baseball League, clinching first place in the National Division of Westchester-Putnam.
The Pirates (14-3) also locked in the top seed and home-field advantage for the upcoming league playoffs.
The Pirates took a 5-0, first-inning lead over the Power with Ed Smilkstein, Tony Sottile and Bill Rossiter hitting back-to-back RBI singles. Anthony Ascanio and Greg Locke drove in other runs.
Dale Hughes and Bob Kraft led off the second with singles and scored through hits by Matt Miller and Ascanio. In the fourth, Don Tracey doubled ahead of RBI hits by Kraft and Ascanio. Bill Demersky singled, and Smilkstein recorded his second RBI base hit, building the lead to 12-0.
Tracey (6-1) and Kraft (4-0) combined to strike out four batters and walk one. Bill Rifkin, Willie Wang and Chris Myers pitched for the Power.
- 1 Yorktown Heights Resident Indicted In Metro-North Test Cheating Ring
- 2 Yorktown Man Charged With Shoplifting Thermometers
- 3 Restaurateur Found Guilty Of Forcibly Touching Waitress
- 4 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 5 Service Dog Stolen From Car In Cortlandt Town Center