WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. – New Rochelle native Kevin Shattenkirk and the United States men’s hockey team makes its Olympic debut Thursday when it plays Slovakia in Sochi, Russia.
The game is scheduled to faceoff at 7:30 a.m. EST on Thursday. Slovakia is also playing in its first game.
Shattenkirk, 24, is a defenseman for the St. Louis Blues. These are the first Olympic Games for Shattenkirk, who represented Team USA at the World Championships in 2011 and the Junior Championship in 2009.
The 5-foot-11, 207-pound Shattenkirk was born in Greenwich, Conn., but grew up in New Rochelle. He is the son of Patrick and Barbara Shattenkirk of New Rochelle.
Shattenkirk’s U.S. teammates include two players from Connecticut. New Canaan native Max Pacioretty and Hamden native Jonathan Quick are also members of Team USA.
The team's second game will be against Russia on Saturday at 7:30 a.m. EST. Its third game will be against Slovenia at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.
The Slovakia, Russia and Slovenia games can all be seen on NBC Sports Network each day in 5 p.m. re-airings.
Medal qualifying games are set for Tuesday, Feb. 18. Quarterfinal action is set for Wednesday, Feb. 19, followed by the bronze-medal game on Saturday, Feb. 22 and gold-medal game on Sunday, Feb. 23.
You can view the entire Team USA hockey schedule here.
Click here for the Team USA roster.
- 1 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 2 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts
- 3 Somers Businessman Charged With Loan, Tax Fraud
- 4 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 5 Police: Drugs, Alcohol May Have Been Involved In Verplanck Woman's Death