WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. – New Rochelle’s Kevin Shattenkirk picked up another assist as the United States men’s hockey team crushed Czechoslovakia, 5-2, in the quarterfinals of the Winter Olympics Wednesday in Sochi, Russia.
The U.S. will play Canada in the semifinals on Friday. Sweden and Finland meet in the other semifinal. Finland beat Russia 3-1 to prevent the chance of a U.S.-Russia rematch after the U.S. beat Russia 3-2 in a shootout on Saturday, Feb. 15. The losers of Thursday’s semifinals will meet for the bronze medal.
Shattenkirk assisted on a goal by Phil Kessel 2:01 into the third period to stake the United States to a 5-1 lead. Shattenkirk has three assists in four games for Team USA (4-0).
James Van Riemsdyk, Dustin Brown, David Backes and Zach Parise also scored for the U.S. Goalie Jonathan Quick made 21 saves.
After Van Riemsdyk scored for Team USA 1:39 into the game, Ales Hemsky tied the game at 4:31 for Czechoslovakia. Brown and Backes scored later in the first period, and Parise score in the second period.
- 1 Lockout Lifted At Peekskill Schools After Shooting Reported In Area
- 2 Westchester School Districts Reporting High Opt-Out Rates
- 3 Two Yorktown Men Charged With Marijuana Possession
- 4 Tractor-Trailer Carrying Fuel Crashes On Route 6N, Igniting Fire
- 5 Opt-Out Debate Rages As State Testing Begins In Westchester