PEEKSKILL, N.Y. – Sylvie Binder, a 12-year-old fencing sensation, has organized the “Go Green” Beginners Fencing Tournament as part of her mitzvah project as she prepares for her Bat Mitzvah in May.
Binder ranks in the top 10 junior fencers in the entire United States in her age range.
The event will begin Saturday at 9 a.m. and will feature more than 30 beginner fencers in several tournaments at the Peekskill Fencing Center. All proceeds will go to the Conservation Fund, a charitable organization that seeks to protect the environment.
Competitions will be held for 8, 10 and 12-year-old fencers. Former United States Olympic Fencer and former Westchester County Legislator John Nonna will speak at the event. Nonna was on the U.S. team at the 1972 games in Munich.
The Peekskill Fencing Center is located at 1000 N. Division St. in suite G on the second floor. The competitions will start at 9 a.m. and Nonna will speak at 11 a.m. The competitions will then resume at noon.
From a submission from Jeffrey Binder/Armonk Fencing Club
- 1 Police Warn Residents To Be On Lookout For Bear In Yorktown
- 2 Father Charged After Incident With Varsity Lacrosse Coach At Mahopac HS
- 3 Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Taconic State Parkway
- 4 Serious Accident Takes Out Two Lanes On Taconic In Jefferson Valley
- 5 Daughters Of Edgemont Driver Of SUV In Fatal Crash Will Be On 'Today' Show