YORKTOWN, N.Y. - Yorktown Heights Engine Company #1 and charity organization My Brother Vinny teamed up to donate supplies to still-recovering firehouses that were devastated by Hurricane Sandy.
Paula Miritello, founder of My Brother Vinny, and Yorktown firefighter Kenny Beck recently delivered thermals, hats, and gloves to the Point Breeze Volunteer Fire Department and the Island Park Volunteer Fire Department. Weather permitting, they will deliver couches, chainsaws and more Sunday.
"It’s later when you feel you’re more alone, because everyone comes at the beginning," Miritello said of the Hurricane-ravaged areas. "They both suffered tremendous loss and are currently at different stages of the rebuild."
Miritello said Point Breeze Chief John Fahy gave her a tour of his dilapidated fire house, where 15 men, most of whom lost homes through floods and fires, slept on FEMA cots. She said walls were ripped down and in need of Sheetrock
"They have lost their homes and they are trying to rebuild the best they can," Miritello said.
Wish list items My Brother Vinny is asking for include:
- Men's clothing - Large, XL, 1X, 2X and 3XL - sweatshirt, large size pants, sweatpants, thermals, t-shirts, undershirts, and socks.
- Shoes – gently used; Chief Fahy is size 14.
- Equipment – water cans, fire extinguishers, chainsaws, fire hose.
- Counter height chairs/barstools
- Cleaning Supplies – garbage bags, Rubbermaid containers, paper towels.
- Construction help – Volunteers to Sheetrock.
To donate contact Fire Commissioner Martin McGannon (firstname.lastname@example.org), Beck (email@example.com), firefighter Rich weber (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Miritello (914-299-2106 or email@example.com).
Items can also be donated from 6 to 9 p.m. Feb. 13 at Yorktown Fire House Barn on Commerce Street with the Yorktown Junior Corp.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.